Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Monday, August 20, 2007

Ahhhh love. Aix update 1

bon matin mes amis!

I am in love. Truly, head over heels, absolutely in love with aix-en-provence. The culture, the food, the zest for life is all completely intoxicating. I have been exploring my new home by wandering through perfectly picturesque side streets passing by small cafe's and creperies and getting into as many conversations as i can. It turns out that smiling to people randomly on the street is not part of the french culture...and doing so connotes a recognition of romantic interest. As i am often smiling, this has been hard for me to get used to. I often forget about this cultural nuance and will smile to folks as we pass on the street which has lead to both awkward and wonderful encounters. I really appreciate the complete love for life that seems to be so well worked into french culture. People here not only eat the best of foods but truly celebrate each meal and the company that they are having it with. I have yet to see the hurried commuter eating a meal on the go (walking while eating/drinking seems to be a major faux pas and also very american) as most people take the time to sit and enjoy their meals (no matter how simple a meal it may be). While walking around Aix, it is apparent to me that people here dress in celebration of their bodies. Outfits here are worn with a pride and grace that i dont often see in the U.S. and it seems that people are always ready for "the Look" (those of you who have been to france before will know what im talking about). The look consists of a brief but passionate romance on the street that is usually only conveyed by eye contact and body language. The people who do this will usually have a meal or coffee together as they both look for a mutual connection. Maybe im ready too much into this, but i've always considered myself to be a romantic and have quickly found that i am nowhere near the romantic that people here are. I clearly have a lot to learn and cannot wait to do so.
on another exciting note, the french love food. I love food. I love the french. my second day here i met a group of french students and had lunch with them. After lunch they took me to a cafe where we had delicious cafe au lait and pastries. After the coffee we got up to leave and they invited me to join them at nearby courtyard restaurant for dinner. We spent the whole day eating and talking, and this was not strange to them at all. I realized then that i had found my calling. When i grow up, i want to be french.
Currently i am living in dorms at the university while i search for an apartment or family to stay with. I plan on doing a homestay for the first semester then getting an apartment for the second half of the year. I am really looking forward to staying with a family and being completely immersed in french, but im also looking forward to the freedom that an apartment would offer. Im still not sure which i would choose if i had to pick one or the other.
I have also really been enjoying Aix's nightlife. The streets here are usually still going strong at 4 and 5 in the morning. There are street performers and bands playing all over the streets. I found this fun little club called "le skat" where there is a funky band that plays awkward renditions of bad american songs (but they do it oh so well!). I was there last night and didnt realize i was listening to a rendition of "Sweet home Alabama" until the song was almost over and only then because one of the band members did a shout out to "Creedence water." On my way home that night a group of french students were singing motown in the streets and we started an impromptu dance party in the streets, needless to say, it was amazing.
I miss you all very much and think about each of you often. What are the new and exciting things that are going on in your lives? I do miss home quite a bit. If any of you have skype, search me or send me your information so we can chat. I've got a webcam and all that good stuff.

No comments: