Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, August 31, 2007

Behold! My new studio :)

Here are some pics of where i live and a few of where I go to school :)

The building I live in is gorgeous! Its over 400 years old and perfectly situated a block away from the center of town. It came fully "furnished" (i use this term loosely) with an orgy of Ikea gear that is both simple and pleasant to look at. Trouble is, there is tons of stark white wall space that I don't have enough money to cover just yet. Needless to say, thrift stores and me will quickly become best of friends. I am excited about my first time living alone and having my own place but know that eventually I'll be lonely. So, if any of you fancy a trip to France.....








Welcome to 17 Rue du Matheron. This is the door to the apartment building....not directly to my apartment. The door to my apartment is a bit deceptive as it looks like the door to a crack house as opposed to the door to a chic little studio in la centre ville.








The living room. Where I will be doing all of my Living. There is a clic-clac (the french futon) that comfortably sleeps 3 people and makes for a smashing seat to watch movies from.











The Kitchen (where I will likely be spending most of my time). The apartment came "furnished" which means that it has a smattering of awkward pots and pans that realistically couldn't be used for anything without a severe cleaning and repair of most of them. I have yet to get a good knife for the cooking and have been using my handy and amazingly versatile pocket knife. When I write that it's "my" pocket knife, I mean that I bought it for my dad as a Father's day gift then took it back a week or so later so that i could take it to france and use it on my travels. Im such a great son. There aren't nearly enough shelves, so I am going to build some out of odds and ends I find in the street. I just bought a roll of duct tape, with this and my handy dandy pocket knife, I can do anything.

Up the stairs is the mezzanin, which is where my bedroom is. Notice the Ikea bed, mattress, sheets, shelf, etc.

The mattress is nice and firm and the sheets are.....well, i don't know yet if they can be trusted, but i'm tough and whatever doesn't kill me will just build up my immune system.







This is the salle de bain. It's small and lacks major ventilation. We'll see how that goes....

Below is the shower. Its very small is difficult to turn around in. At least i'll be sure to take short showers and save on water heating bills.
















This is one of two windows to my beautiful ground floor newlywed's view of the alley. Note the bars on the window, that's how you know it's safe.

The alleyway really isn't shady at all (at least i don't think so...), its just always full of people who can see into my apartment and who i can see. Sometimes i feel like im on exhibit. I'm hoping that i'll eventually learn to close the windows when im changing or wandering around the house in various other levels of dress.

note: Ikea lamp, non-Ikea window bars.









And here are pics of where i go to school! The building is in the heart of town and is absolutely gorgous!!! There are all sorts of fountains and gigantic trees in the courtyards. I can't wait for classes to start!




4 comments:

P said...

Saqib:

My man......it is so great to hear from you! I am glad that things are going well and that you are enjoying all that life has to offer. I just wanted to send you a shout out from the Bay.

Your friend,

Paul

Unknown said...

Salaam Saqib,

What a gorgeous, old, place your school is! No doubt it reeks of history. Nice apartment too - hope things are back to normal with the septic system, though; I'm that was just it's way of welcoming you!!! Good luck with the french course and have a super week....

Lubna kaki

amreen said...

This place is huge!! Looks very cool though. You will have it furnished in no time. Don't the French have garage sales?? :)

Love you
amu fui

Saqib K. said...

I have heard of one BIG city wide garage sale that's happening in a few weeks. I CAN'T WAIT!!!! There aren't many desis here so the vendors wont be used to our skills at haggaling.